Thursday, July 31, 2008

Vicarious House Hunting

Our offer was accepted, and we are putting a rush on all parties involved, so we can move in as soon as possible.  The sellers have moved out already, and now it is up to the lender.  Maybe next week.  We are so excited.

After driving into town late the night before, we went to see the house the next day.  The realtor and inspector in tow.  It sits on a flag lot on a little hill, quiet and private, with an open field/park behind the property.  The main floor has an eat-in kitchen that is open and spacious, and a front room with large windows that look out over the rolling hills of the Palouse.  The main floor also has a half bath.  We like the garage, which is 2-car-sized, but extra deep so there is room to store things.  The daylight basement looks like it will be a good space to use for sewing and the tv.  There's also a bedroom and full bath down there.  There are 3 bedrooms upstairs, as well as 2 bathrooms - hall and master. The master bath is laid out in a strange way, but will be fine for now.  The only other drawback we've noticed is the long driveway, which will have to be plowed if it snows too much.   

Scott's mom found the house and had described the whole thing to us over the phone.  The funny thing is that the house she found and recommended for us is the one we ended up picking.  We didn't even look at any other houses after arriving in town.  We just went to look at it and signed the papers 30 minutes later.  We knew a lot about Pullman before we moved here, but I'm still impressed that Scott's mom found us the right place without us even seeing it in person.

So, I finally got on the band wagonand read Stephanie Meyer's first book, "Twilight".  It was a lot of fun, and I kept thinking how I would have enjoyed it even more if I had been able to read it back when I was in high school.  I attended a private magnet school in Japan with a rigid curriculum.  I was always staying up late studying, and I never had time to read anything besides my required literature.  There were no dances, and what's more, boys and girls studied in different buildings.  I was lucky I had brothers and church friends.  Some of my friends hadn't even talked to a guy besides their father for months.  An American high school story would have been a lot of fun to read for me and for my friends.  Regarding the book itself, I was glad I took my friend's advice and waited to start it until the move was over.  It grips you right away and you won't be able to put it down until the end.  A good explanation for my lack of blogging this past week.  Check out the t-shirt my friend, Kimberly, made.  She is so hilarious!          

8 comments:

Krustee said...

Congrats on the house! I cannot believe how fast everything has happened and that Scott's mom was able to pick out the house you are buying. Amazing really. So glad you arrived safe and sound. I drove past your old house the other day and saw the new people moving in and started bawling. I will eventually accept your move. :) Okay, now another person is talking about the Twilight books. I have to read them.

twoplustwins said...

The house sounds great. We are really excited for you guys! Can't wait to see the pictures.
~Kim

Kimberly said...

So, did Swan and I give away too many details while we were at dinner that night? I'm glad to hear you read Twilight and liked it! Since making that shirt I've thought I should make one for Swan and put it in the mail...wouldn't that be hilarious!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you made it safe and everything is on track with buying your new house...yay!

Marie' said...

Kristen,
You are so sweet. I miss you too... so much so that I went and read your whole entire blog. It was great! I felt like I just spent an evening with you.

Kim,
I will post pictures as soon as we close. I am tempted everyday to walk up and take a picture, but I don't want to run into the sellers. i know they are still in town.

Kimberly,
Swan would laugh SO hard, and absolutely love it. She IS a huge Edward fan.

Mommymita said...

Hey- sounds like you guys found a great place! I hope you move in soon because we want to be your first visitors. .... we're going to Spokane for Labor Day.

Melissa said...

That is really neat that Scott's mom could find a house for you guys. It sounds really big and spacious and I envy you that.

I just read the Twilight book too. It was definately a fun read. I liked how you described your high school life in Japan. It is very interesting how different things are there.

jacquie said...

Congratulations! The house sounds wonderful. Can't wait for pictures.

Marie' said...

Alison,
we are bugging our lender and crossing our fingers.

Melissa,
Navy blue school uniform, long braided hair, and a heavy leather bag full of books. It was good I didn't know Scott back then.

Jacquie,
we are excited!