Wednesday, May 18, 2011


Last night I wanted to watch some talks I had recorded from the BYU Women's Conference. I knew I would fall asleep if I sat down, so I decided to sew. I don't know the logic behind it, but I get more out of those talks when my hands are busy.

I was happy to find a pair of Asha's shorts all cut out and ready to go from last year's project pile. The fabric came from an extra large pair of white shorts I bought at a yard sale for 50 cents. It has a heavier weight with good amount of stretch.

I drafted the pattern with Alison's help a few years back. Size 130. You can see another pair I had made with this pattern here.

The fabric I used for the elastic casing is voile from Ana Maria Horner's Little Folks collection. This light weight fabric is not sheer, drapes beautifully, and has a subtle sheen to it. It feels similar to the lawn of Liberty of London, but for the third of the price. Check out Anna Maria's entire fabric collection here. It is a true work of art.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Trailer report - the bunks are in

One of the last things on our list was to put bunks in. All-fab, a local metal working company, built the frames and we sewed the cover with duck canvas.

This bunk has hinges so we can fold it in half length-wise and tuck it behind the couch during the day.

The one on the end may stay up there to provide extra storage for sleeping bags and pillows.

We bought 10 yards of 2 inch wide velcro. We used our glue gun to attach the rough side to the inside of the frame, and then sewed the fuzzy side to the canvas. It holds the canvas tight and we will be able to take it off and wash it.

We will get to test them out during the Memorial Day weekend. Destination is still to be determined.