Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Muslin

The canning is mostly underway.  I did peaches, pears, and LOTS of tomatoes.   My sister suggested I make tomato sauce.  With the strainer we borrowed from Scott's mom, we have been having a lot of fun doing that.  I love it that we can reduce the amount to half before we bottle it.  

Kai started pre-school this week.  It is a co-op one, where we moms take turns and host.  Twice a week for a couple hours each is just perfect for us.  Kai said it was the "bestest" day as he came out of the first day of school.  Our goal is to not drop out this time.  With Jerome, the three moms decided to quit after a few months.  Alison started teaching early morning seminary, Nary was my counselor, and I was the RS pres. in an inner city branch in Philly.  We just didn't have the time or energy to stay on the Joy School curriculum.  It still turned into a lasting friendship, so something great came out of it.  Asha dropped out when Scott got a new job in San Diego and we moved.  

Asha is getting baptized on October 10th.  I started sewing the baptism dress, now that I have a deadline.  The last few days were spent making the muslin to test the fit.  It took a few tries.            



I based the bodice pattern on her Easter dress but changed the sleeves and added the cross-over.  The shoulders needed a little widening, too. 

Now I am ready to cut out the fabric and start sewing.     

10 comments:

Mommymita said...

muslins are certainly worth the work. Look how much better #2 looks. I like the cross over lower like you did it the 2nd time. THis will be very pretty!

SuburbiaMom said...

Know what you mean about the joy school thing--my oldest it lasted about 4 months before it fizzled. For the middle two kids--there weren't enough interested moms. (As you know in San Diego--everyone sends their kids to a preschool somewhere or they spend all day with their nannies).

The dress will turn out adorable--as does everything you make!!

Dena said...

Looks like you off to a good start on the Baptismal dress. Can't wait to see the finished one.

カローラ said...

開くんかわいい!アーシャちゃんはもう8歳か~。素敵なバプテスマのお洋服期待しています。

Marie' said...

カローラちゃん
やっぱりパッチワークの方が楽しいわ。洋服は出来上がって着せるまではただただ大変だから。

Melissa said...

Oh, Asha is getting baptized? What a big girl. Good luck with your joy school.

yurika said...

ドレス可愛くなりそうだねー!

そういえば、日本で結婚になったから、今ドレス探しの旅を始めなきゃで大変だよ~・・・。どこを見ても、9割ベアトップなんだけど。笑

Meredith said...

We missed Asha after she left our joyschool group :( I've continued with the coop preschool here in Boise with Paige, she loves it and I love that it saves me $$.
The muslin try is looking great- can't wait to see how it comes out.

Marie' said...

友里香ちゃん
確かに。こっちでもそうだよ。素敵なドレスが見つかりますように...。

Kimberly said...

I can't wait to see the finished product. I can't believe Asha is getting baptized next month. I bet she is so excited! Can't wait to hear more on that too.