Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Utah Trip: Sewing Camp

I have always joked that my favorite vacation would be a sewing cruise.  Our stay at Alison's house came pretty close.  We traced and drafted patterns all day long and into the night, while our ten children played.  Jerome said, "We are so lucky to be here.  Wherever I turn, I can find not one, but two friends to play with." 

Here is us still working at midnight.  We had a lot of Japanese sewing books and Europian sewing magazines between us.                   
Here is Alison falling asleep while trying to choose fabric.  The Marimeko knits she got from Fabric Fairy was so cute.  I want to order some soon.      
This is Alison's notebook.  Talk about wardrobe planning!  Her girls are going to be stylish this summer in clothes their mom made.   I am thankful to Paul and Scott.  They had a busy work schedule during our stay, but still found time to take the kids to a movie and put them to bed, so Alison and I could have more time.      

Alison also taught Scott how to make her coveted bagels.  They were the best bagels we have ever had.  A big food processor and a Wolf gas range got added to Scott's wish list.  
Thanks, Alison and Paul, for being such wonderful hosts!  Come over our way for fall/winter pattern drafting.   

14 comments:

Kersten said...

Wow! Marie! That looks so fun!!

カローラ said...

ユタでソーイングキャンプしてたんだね。(笑)私もソーイング仲間がほしい!やっぱり一人で分からないながらやるより、誰かと話したり相談したりしながらするのは楽しいだろうな。

Cynthia said...

So much fun. Any chance of getting the coveted bagel recipe???

Mommymita said...

Wish you could have stayed longer... actually I wish we lived closer - just think the projects we could get done!

you forgot to add to the wish list a label maker for Asha and the boys keep repeating all of Jerome's jokes

Too much fun! I'll have to get sewing so I can post some of our projects.

Allison said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time!

Marie' said...

カローラちゃん
本当は近くに住んでるといいんだけどなかなか会えないのは残念。スコットがソーイング始めてくれるといいんだけどそれだけは勘弁してくれっていわれたよ。

Cynthia
I am afraid I can't. I told Alison I wouldn't give it out.

Alison,
I am glad your boys enjoyed Jerome's joke. He used to follow me around and tell me jokes, until he read a book that told him he should limit it to one a day when the listener is a girl.

Any chance of moving to Pullman/Moscow area?

Meredith said...

I'm jealous! I need a sewing buddy. Looks like you got a lot accomplished. I can't wait to see the pictures of the projects.

dana said...

What a fun trip! You ladies are both so talented!

Unknown said...

Just dropping by to let you know I have a super give-away running this week (and every week) on my LDS blog at Not Entirely British.

This one is for TWO gifts! C. S. Bezas' Relaxing CD - "A Time for Ana," and her superb book, "Powerful Tips for Powerful Teachers."
Hope you have time to hop on over and take a peek :-)

SuburbiaMom said...

You guys are sewing die-hards. Wow, you amaze me!

Mommymita said...

you can give the recipe out but it is not so much a recipe as it is a technique... You can google a recipe because they are pretty much the same but we just do what proportions work for our altitude and climate. They are actually quite simple just labor intensive and kind of messy.

Amanda Jean said...

that looks like a whole lot of fun. for everyone! i love the peek at the sketchbook.

Dawn W said...

Wow - you two are AMAZING! Quilts are one thing, but drafting patterns for actual clothing that fits and looks stylish - that's quite another story! Looks like fun! (And hard too!)

Keiko said...

ソーイングキャンプというかソーイングパーティーだね。(笑)楽しそう!ソーイング+気の会う友達ってなぜか近所じゃなくて他の州とかに住んでるもんなんだよね〜。それだけの理由で友達の近くに引っ越したいと時々思う時あるよ〜。(笑)我が家は実はひろこちゃんたちが引っ越した後に彼らが住んでいたユニットにランドリーが近いので引っ越します。日本にもどる前に家族でミニリユニオンできてよかったですね〜。